Technical FAQHere you will find answers to frequently asked questions covering our for IT Infrastructure, Internet Access, Email related usage.
VIRUS AND SPYWARE
VIRUS AND SPYWARE
- What steps can I take to protect my computer from viruses and spyware?
- How can I make sure I have all patches / critical updates from Microsoft?
- How do I obtain PPP dialup access to the Computer Science Department?
- How to access the VMware account and install CentOS using vSphere client?
- How to manage snapshots using vSphere client?
- How can I setup Remote Access?
- How do I connect to compute1?
- How do I set up SSH tunneling under Unix?
- How do I set up SSH tunneling on the PC?
- How do I set up SSH tunneling on the MAC?
- I set up a key pair, but when I ssh between two department hosts it still asks for my password, why?
- I am using Windows XP and every time I try and upload a file, I get the error, "Failed to scan directories. Error 6: ... No such file or directory". How do I correct this problem?
- How do I connect to "sbwin2" from my home machine?
- How do I use Xwin32 to connect from outside of the CS dept network?
- How do I use the wireless network in the department?
- How do I configure my laptop for internet access within the department?
- How do I access the department VMware Virtual Machines?
- How do I benefit from Exchange? - A Short Presentation
- Tips to get started and login information
- What are the advantages of using Microsoft Exchange?
- What are the advantages of using Microsoft Outlook for Exchange as compared to other mail clients?
- How can I connect to Exchange?
- How can I migrate my current email and data to Exchange?
- How can I control SPAM whitelists and blacklists?
- How can I enable or disable my Out-of-Office status?
- How can I change my Windows/Active Directory password using Outlook Web Access (OWA)?
- What are the policies regarding reserving rooms in the department?
- How can I reserve rooms and schedule meetings?
- How can I reserve a room for an entire semester?
- How can I share calendars and schedule meetings with other users?
- How can I view existing room reservations?
- How can I change the defauilt settings (e.g. font, mail format, etc.) of my outgoing emails?
- How can I forward my emails to an external address?
- How can I pre-sort my email automatically into folders?
- I have set up forwarding on my Computer Science Email. Can I also disable the Junk-Email filter?
- Why are some attachments blocked or renamed?
- Why am I still getting SPAM messages and what can I do about it?
- What email aliases are available for general use?
- Why am I getting email bounced back to me when I did not send it in the first place?
- How can I read mail attachments under Unix?
- I received email with an attachment named "winmail.dat". What is this and how can I read it?
- How do I print pdf files from a Unix host?
- Can I print an A4 document on the department printers?
- How do I print from Mozilla or Firefox?
- How do I convert files between Postscript (*.ps) and PDF (*.pdf) formats?
- What printing facilities are available in the department for general use?
- How much can I print on department printers?
- What do I need to know about using the copier?
- How to access and use the department scanner?
- How do I set up my browser to use the web proxy? or
I cannot ftp files through my browser? or
I cannot open an ftp directory through my browser? or
All ftp links time out through the webbrowser? or
I cannot view a webpage, because it sends data on a higher data port?
- How to ftp, now that ftp is turned off?
- When I ftp to ftp.cs.sunysb.edu (or some other ftp server) ls does not give me a full directory listing?
- How do I fix "invalid security certificate" error when connecting to the CS webserver?
- How do I publish my web pages on the department WWW server? Should we ftp to the compute(N) or directly to the web server?
- How do I Password Protect my web page?
- How do I set up a www redirect page?
- How can I avoid using the "mailto:" tag on my website to prevent spam?
- Can I use Server Side Include files in my webpage?
- What are my quota limits?
- How do I adjust the volume in Real Player on the Suns?
- How do I change my login shell to bash or tcsh?
- How do I run StarOffice?
- When I try to compile my C program on the Suns I get a "package not found" error.
- I compiled my program successfully but when I try to run the executable I get a library error similar to: ld.so.1: a.out: fatal: libstdc++.so.2.10.0: open failed: No such file or directory.
- I include "math.h" in a my C program but the gcc compiler doesn't recognize some of the functions such as "pow".
- I have a program which used to compile under gcc or g++, but now it generates a long list of errors. What happened?
- How can I convert files to/from Mac formats such as BinHex and MacBinary and Unix
- I am using Mozilla and the twm window manager and I cannot type into some of the text fields.
- How can I run Windows applications on my Unix machine?
- How do I use PGP?
- How can I encrypt a file without using PGP?
- How can I change my unix password?
- How do I find information related to the Undergraduate and Graduate Window Labs?
- How do I install a Postscript printer under Windows NT/95/98/2K?
- How do I access MATLAB from Terminal Server? or
How can I access department services from Terminal Server?
- How can I change my password in Windows?
- What do I do if I forgot my password?
- How to use Vision software in classrooms.(Available in 2120 and 2129 classrooms)
- About Vision
- Vision Quick Start
- How to connect to a classroom?
- How to blank workstations in the classroom?
- How to remotely manage a particular workstation?
- How to supervise a particular workstation?
- How to change the display name of a workstation to a studentís Login?
- How to project the instructor presentation on all workstations in the classroom?
- How to block users from surfing the internet?
- Are there any guidelines for choosing a password?
- How can I report requests or problems?
- How can a department member obtain Mathematica or Maple for personal use?
- How can I submit HW assignments?
- How do I use the projector in room 1310?
- I clicked on a Real Player video/sound clip and I am getting sound but no video or vice versa.
- When I click on a video within Netscape, I get an alert from Real Player saying "Unable to connect to server -- Check network transport settings"
- How can I restore the image for a Symbol PPT 2700?
- How do I enable 128 bit encryption on a Symbol PPT 2700?